What I Hate The Most About Haiti


Another interesting day today in Haiti.  Nothing out of the norm really, but here I am, inspired to write what I hate most about Haiti. I am not talking about the generalities of what we all hate about Haiti, such as the poverty and corruption that entrap millions in utter despair, that is a given. I am talking about the selfish side of hatred, that is, how Haiti affects me.

Yes, another lovely and inspirational post from Scott.  But hang with me if you have a few minutes. 

Let’s think about what I could possibly list what I hate just from the past 48 hours.  Maybe it would be the heat.  Summer is upon us and it is now officially stifling; hot during the day is one thing, but hot at night sucks. It is a constant drain to energy as you sweat typing an email, eating your lunch, and even drying yourself off after a shower.  But this isn’t what I hate the most.

It could be that everything here constantly breaks.  We go from one repair to the next, until it loops around and we are repairing the same things again and again.  Not just old things, brand new as well.  If it has a plug, it has a lifespan of one to 12 months in Haiti.  But this isn’t what I hate the most.

We just said goodbye to Russell today, our kids teacher. His wife left a few weeks ago.  They lived with us and were perfect guests, good friends, and a huge blessing to our family and our ministry.  Soon, more friends will be leaving.  Relationships in Haiti are so transient that you start to turn numb to people out of protection, which is dangerous when your kids develop such a habit.  But this isn’t what I hate the most.

Is it that is nearly a full time job just managing our house?  Pumping water, generator problems, cleaning batteries, broken toilets, cold showers, no water pressure?  No.

Is it the rats?  The tarantulas?  The ants?  No. No. No.

Surely it is the traffic right?  The blokis that destroy all schedules, appointments and plans?  The crazy drivers that run me off the road multiple times each day?  The gas shortages, the pot holes, the flooded roads, or piles of burning garbage everywhere? No.

The endless frustrations that come with ministry?  Especially ministry with kids?  Especially ministry with teens!?  No.

Or maybe that its that I have so many constant injuries and ailments that I feel like I am 75 year old.  (Busted ankles, an elbow that can’t bend to 90 degrees, a nasty infection on my leg that will never heal, a smashed thumb, a weak knee, a back that absorbs hundreds of pot holes a day.)  No, it’s not that either.

The fact that I don’t get to see my family much right now.  That my wife and I consider getting stuck in traffic alone together our ‘date time’. That lunch is what it nearly always is, beans and rice.  That dinner last night was crackers.   That I sat in the dark without power for nearly six hours last night, drenched in sweat and driven to point of madness by hundreds of mosquitos.  Or that I got a total of three hours worth of sleep, and will likely repeat all of this tonight?  Almost, but no, that is not what I hate the most.

What I hate the most about Haiti is what all of these things reveal about myself.  I hate that these things make me cranky and puts stress on my relationship with my wife.  I hate that it can change my mood into times of negativity or depression. That the external can have control of the internal.

I hate how it exposes how I think that just because I didn’t get much sleep or I am hungry that it gives me some sort of ‘right’ to get frustrated, or to not bestow love and grace on those around me.  Like I get some sort of pass from being a disciple of Jesus because I had a rough day, or have a headache, or my plans just got obliterated.

I hate that I can get so focused on all these difficulties in Haiti that I miss the beautiful side to this country, which is found in abundance in its people.

I hate that it exposes my lack of contentment, my pride, my weaknesses, my ego, my true motives, my sinful nature, my lack of faith.

What I hate most about Haiti, in actuality, has little to do with Haiti. What I hate the most is to realize that the biggest mountain to overcome in this country is myself.  All the other issues in my day to day are just part of the path He put me on to teach me, to test me, to help me to grow and to overcome.  The work here makes me challenge my theological and missiological beliefs daily.  The harshness of the spiritual climate puts my world view two inches from my face and screams, “What do you think about your beliefs now, Scott?”  These challenges are tough but in reality are spiritual work-out that builds strength and solidifies my foundation in truth.

When I am honest I realize how much fluff has entered into my Christian walk through the years.  Worthless theology that may seem to be right in the context of the bubble that is the United States, but in the rest of the world, it is utter sophistry.  (A gospel that can only hold a shadow of truth in one socio-economic area of the world is not the gospel of Jesus Christ.) 

My challenge now is to realize that my daily tests are opportunities for me to mature spiritually; to not look back and see things in terms of good days or bad days, tough or easy, stressful or relaxing; but to look back and ask myself, “Did I walk in the likeness of Christ that day?”.  I must learn to not allow the events of today to hijack the work that the Holy Spirit wants to accomplish within me.  Our emotions and reactions cannot be led by an external situation, we are to be led solely by His Spirit.

Easier said than done, but the first step is accepting the fact that God is quite aware of the bumps, hills, mountains, pitfalls and valleys in the road of your life.  Those challenges are not to be excuses as to why you failed to walk in the fullness of Christ, but are the training so that you can walk boldly in the fullness of Him.

Well, here I sit, sweaty, hungry and tired.  A piping hot bowl of porridge awaits me, and I am once again the main course on the dinner menu for the mosquitos.  It is a good thing for me to realize that when Paul the Apostle wrote  of his overwhelming joy, he wrote it from prison. When he wrote about contentment, he had chains on him. He taught us that our joy should not come from our surroundings, but from seeing Christ magnified in our lives and others.

-Scott

Comments

Ang said…
Thank you for your candor. Praying for joy, contentment and an inexplicable sense of peace over you & yours.
Briana Coblentz said…
Very Awesome post! :)
Eric Bowling said…
I can emphasize with your comments that what you hate most is what difficulties, challenges, etc...reveal about you and your own failings and limitations. Same thing happens to me here in suburban Chicago. Thanks for sharing bro and be blessed!
Anonymous said…
well said, so true, thanks for your honesty!
Anonymous said…
Challenged by your post today as I sit here in Africa with sweat rolling off me (and its only 10:30AM)! Thank you for being so honest with your own struggles.
Ruthie H. said…
Thanks so much for your honesty! Being here in Uganda has helped expose my heart for what it really is, giving me the chance to allow God to do some very needed pruning. As I have told friends you don't leave your heart and life (with its sins and weaknesses) behind at the U.S. airport, you bring them with you - gunk and all. And being in a place far from your home culture with its comforts and familiar surroundings, strips away so much. But God is so faithful to continue the work He began in each of us. Praying He continues to pour out His grace on you and your family! Thank you for serving in Haiti!
(P.S. I linked to you from Life Overseas' Facebook page.)
Lorie said…
I could just hug you for saying what was in my heart. My "bubble" burst big time when I moved overseas last year. I cherish the moments I see the power of Christ in me, like last week when I'm soaked to the skin in sweat in my 100*+ kitchen and I'm not miserable. That is not me. Those moments give me hope for transformation.
Thomas and Lisa said…
As a missionary family ministering in the Philippines, I can really relate to this post. Thank you for your honesty.
John said…
Hey Scott, Good stuff, thanks for helping those of us who live in Haiti, see more clearly.
ssalvant said…
Wow, thanks everyone for the encouragement. Glad to see people from all over the world relating to the post. To be honest, most of these issues are minor and temporal. The things that we actually struggle with the most are much more complex and weighty and can't fit nicely into a blog post, I know many of you know what I am talking about. But in the end the answer is still the same.
pas said…
You'll get used to it all if you stay long enough. It becomes a way of life, the looping repairs, traffic, garbage, hunger... all of these. But not the mosquitoes, you'll never get used to the vampires that are everywhere. Hang in there bro. It's really cool how all that stuff will become your normal way of life, except the mosquitoes.
Anonymous said…
No matter where you live, missionary life definitely brings out our "flesh".
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Excellent. Just the words I need to read as I 'justify' my crappy attitude and sharp words. Thank you for sharing....
Lisa Berberian said…
Love your article. Greetings from Guatemala. My sis is in Haiti.
Lisa Berberian-Perez said…
Love your post. Greetings from Guatemala. My sis is in Haiti.
Anonymous said…
I truly enjoyed reading what you wrote. It is a real insight into the struggle you and your family have as you bring hope to a hopeless area. God bless you.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for giving words to what we all feel who are working for the Lord in difficult areas, which is just about everywhere now. We live in Jamaica. It is not the land of resorts and happy people as the ads make you think. It is just as you said. Everything breaks over and over again, hot, bugs, crime, murders, nothing can be out of your hand a second or somebody steals it. The beggars start at my door and don't stop asking me all day. Now we are being warned about the earthquakes that are pointed right at our area of the island. I have been waiting 3 weeks to get a kidney stone taken care of, like being in labor for 3 weeks.But since God called us here, I wouldn't trade it for any place else.
hopiejo said…
Thank you for this post. We are missionaries in West Africa, and this relates and convicts us so much. Today my husband read your post on a skype meeting with our American accountability board to better describe our feelings. I so appreciate the connection provided us through a life overseas. It helps to hear your heart! He is faithful!
Ryan Alberts said…
Awesome post! I love this quote, "That my wife and I consider getting stuck in traffic alone together our ‘date time’." TOTALLY TRUE!
Unknown said…
Thank you for your post: it's honesty and conviction. It makes me grateful for how I have it pastoring in Iowa, a so-called "hard area." You have well articulated what has concerned me about American Christianity for some time. Thank you.
Lori said…
Beautifully put!
Lori said…
Beautifully put!
LOVED! reading this today. My husband and I live up here in Cap and I believe you just painted the picture perfect description of our lives. I can't even begin to count how many date nights we have had sitting in the truck while running errands downtown. "While at least we are in air conditioning," we always say. Life here is hard, and we complain way too much, and I think the devil enjoys listening to that. We must stop. Thanks for reminding us of that. I hope to meet you and your family one day!
Anonymous said…
Thank you for your honesty, for writing from your heart. God bless you for your courage and strength. Can't imagine how it would be to get through the Summer season. My husband and i should trade places with you for a time so we wouldn't be tempted to complain. God brought us to a beautiful place to minister, nothing like Haiti, so we will pray for you and remember to be grateful in all things.
Anonymous said…
My brother, the fact that you realize that you are an obstacle to yourself is a wonderful revelation. Walk in the Spirit by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus, Oh Lord Jesus, and He will give you the Grace so that things don't offend you. I am Haitian and I see that the Haitian people do not hate their situation enough to do something constructive about it. I hate that I have friends living in mansions with three living rooms and gold faucets while there is a bidonville of blue tarps right next door to them. Thank you for having a heart to help others. May God protect and keep you and your family.
Anonymous said…
After living in Haiti for only two years, and going through the love and hate, I went through similar thoughts but was too scared to see where they would lead me. I should have kept going because that one line you wrote: "the biggest mountain to overcome is myself" brought me to a lightbulb moment. It's so true. Haiti pushed me to my limits and brought me not just to the hands of God, but to His face. Thank you for nurturing my reflections on Haiti and giving me the soul food to grow.
John said…
What a refreshingly honest post, Scott. Thank you so much for this. There's a lot here that I've felt but never could put into words. I've linked this on our own site.

Popular Posts