6 months!
It is hard to believe that the boys have been home for 6 months. It has gone by so fast and they have adapted so wonderfully to their new life with us. I am amazed by how flexible they are and especially at how hard they try. Their English is growing daily and although they are still struggling with context, vocabulary, as well as, reading comprehension and pronunciation, they are doing a fine job with conversations and expressing themselves. David has grown the most in language. When he came he could barely speak. We had to translate everything. But now if I speak in Kreyol to him he answers in English. The other day the boys were playing a game and the whole time they spoke in English. This was a first for them. Usually it is Kreyol or Krenglish. I said, "Boys, do you know you are speaking in English to each other?" They took note and laughed. I said, "What happened to your Kreyol?" David smiled and said, "We speak English now." I know it must so strange for them. I do encourage Kreyol because I do not want them to lose their native language.
Jeff and David both received good marks on their report cards. They are obviously below level on reading and language but still did well. Jeff received an A in math and B's in other subjects!
Jeff has come a long way in his affection. Remember how he would run from me in Haiti? The other night as I was tucking him into bed he said, "I loved you first." I said, "Oh, no, you didn't." He cooed, "Oh, yes I d-id!" I reminded him of how he use to run away from me in my first trips to Haiti. He giggled, "But I loved you first!" I then told them the story of how I first saw a picture of Jeff, and how we thought it was David. I told him that I had loved him before I met him and David, too. They both laughed as I told them the story. I have been waiting a long time to tell them but because of language, I hadn't. They understood and asked questions and got excited about it. It is a beautiful story and they know it was written by God. It reminds me of the verse in 1 John 4:19: "We loved because He first loved us." How often we forget how we ran away from God as He patiently pursued us. We, now adopted by Him, can easily think we have always loved Him but the truth is He loved us first and now we can love.
Not much else going on in these long winter days. The boys did get to see a little bit of snow but not enough to get the full effect. :( Jadon sprained his ankle on a ski trip last weekend. He went with a friend and his awesome family, so it was hard for this momma to hear of her son's accident and not be there to help him. Caroline is sick with strep today but is totally fine with missing school! When I was a kid, I hated to miss school. (I am not sure why!) McKenna is doing well at school, too. She is super smart and has a lot of friends.
Soon the spring will be here and sports will start. Jeff and David are signed up for soccer and Caroline is playing softball. The girls will keep up at their dance classes and Jadon will continue with piano lessons. My nephew, David (Joey), is doing great, too. He is working at a grocery store full time. Our house is on the market. We have truly outgrown this house but could not pick a worse time to sell. Oh, well- it's in God's hands anyway!
Comments