In The Eye of the Storm

I will be brief because the satellite is not too dependable right now. We are fine, first off, for all of my family who is probably worrying. It has rained a lot over the past 24 hours and we have had some gusty winds but other than that not much to note up here on this mountain. Oh, except that we are so cold. I think it was in the lower 60's yesterday which would not be so bad had we brought warmer clothes! Yesterday I had to hand out sweatshirts/coats to all the kids. It is always challenging to dig through the box and find the right sizes for 28 kids. We had just the right number and no one had to wear anything too small or too big, thank God!


It rained all night and then this morning the eye of storm was directly over us. The eye always gives you a false sense of security. You suddenly see blue skies and you think the worse has passed. You have peace and your soul warms. But just when you got warm enough to smile, the serenity passes, and the clouds roll in again only to prove you wrong. More rain, more floods, more coldness, more storm. Metaphorically, this is my experience with this adoption. Not to sound gloomy- not in the least, but to pause and thank God for the eye. The eye, although it is momentarily, offers hope. It contains a promise: this too shall pass, it's almost over. This morning God gave us a beautiful rainbow during the eye:


The rainbow was given to us a promise that God will never flood the earth again as in the days of Noah. I don't know about you but every time I see a rainbow I have to stop and enjoy it. They are bold yet elusive. Usually you can't behold them for long. I thank God for this miracle He stretches in the sky. This colorful statement that proclaims, "I am in control". I know that God is in control of our adoption. But my flesh hates this process. The pain of waiting and the thought of leaving on Thursday is overwhelming. Every time the floodgates of my heart bulge and burst, I have to hold on tighter to my Rock. To find shelter in the shadow of His wings. To run into the strong tower which is His Name. To have hope that one day my Mt. Ararat awaits me.

Please continue to pray for Haiti.

Comments

Karen Combes said…
April:

I started reading your blog after meeting you with the Three Angels group. I so enjoyed talking to your daughters, especially Caroline who showed me your beautiful family picture book.

I will lift up your adoption to our God who is the father to the fatherless. I pray for swiftness to get your handsome boys home to you soon. The wait can feel like forever, but soon you will all be together.

Blessings,
Karen
Anonymous said…
April,
Thanks for the update. I checked the blog after being on weather.com. Glad you are all safe. I'm praying for you and all your family daily. H
Michelle said…
Such a good example of our Father's goodness. Thanks for reminding me to enjoy the eye!

Praying for you as you prepare to leave this week.
Anonymous said…
So glad you are safe.
Josh got home on Sat., Debbie made it through the wildfires and you made it through the storm.
We have much to be thankful for.
We love you all. Kiss the kiddies for us.
Dad and Jonnie
Anonymous said…
April,
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with all that is happening. It is comforting to know that you all are okay. Our prayers are with you and despite the perils of traveling right now, we know that the Lord will watch over you and we look forward to seeing you all, safe and sound on Thursday. We know that it will be difficult for you to leave this time, espcially for Jeff and David. But, we know God is always on time and never late. That they will come home in His Perfect Time.
(But, soon Lord, SOON)
Love, Hugs and Kisses to you all....
Jeanne said…
April,
I am so glad you all are okay, I prayed for your safety. I love to read what you write, your words are so vivid and your faith so strong.
I miss you all and can't wait to hear the stories from the eyes of the children.
I pray for your safety in traveling home.
A lady at Ashley's church shared her slides of Haiti with us this past Sunday. She was there on a mission trip with medical supplies.
I can't wait to meet Jeff and David.
Kisses to all
Love,
Aunt Jeanne
Anonymous said…
i've been reading your blog, but can't wait to hear more details.

i'm sure you don't have time to read all these right now, but let's get together soon!


"not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone, still miraculously-wonderfully-truly my own..."

my mother gave me this poem when i was a little girl.
she went through much of what you are about to experience with your darlings. so she'll be praying all the right prayers!



i think it's so amazing how the LORD has orchestrated our friendship. monica and doug, ted, eagle's nest, radford!, adoptions--even inter-racial adoptions...

can i just say, i'm looking forward to your return.

much love and prayers,

--lissa
Anonymous said…
It's funny how your blog and a fortune cookie were the vehicles God used to speak to me yesterday. I was feeling so frustrated about my injury still hurting and I was letting that impatience get to me and others. Then I received the fortune "May the rainbow always touch your shoulder" and thought of your words "I know that God is in control...but my flesh hates the process..." It reminded me that God is in control and that I'll heal in his time, not mine. Thanks and God Bless you all on your trip home!

Marci

Popular Posts