The Dream Continues

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. In our homeschool we watched several shows about this great American and did some activities to help us remember what he stood for and how it effects us. I am very thankful for Dr. King and his testimony of peaceful resistance to the injustices of racism and segregation. I cried as I watched those old films where the "colored people" had to sit in certain sections, drink from their own fountain, etc. It really is hard to believe that it was once such a blatant act. I cannot imagine the pain associated with such injustice and discrimination. Although we have come a long way in the past 40 years, racism and injustice toward ethnic minorities is still prevalent. As Christians we are required to "do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with our God." (Micah 6:8)



Watch his famous "I have a dream" speech (stop my music player at bottom of page first):



Comments

Jennifer Ann said…
sweet! so you homeschool too? we use Alpha Omaga's switched on school house and Ambleside online. What do you guys use? and do you like it. We are having a hard time staying on track, so Bill is going to start working with Katie, so that I can spend more time with the boys.
Unknown said…
when i asked my kiddos, "What is one great thing that Dr. King did that we can be thankful for?" my 5 year old said, "He thought about everyone elses needs and not himself." i, too, was weeping during his speech.
Angela said…
That was amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Anonymous said…
Hey, I wandered into this video on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBa55sDTIiA
It's the music video for the song "A Dream" from the movie Freedom Writers. It's will.I.am and Common. It's great. Heather

Popular Posts